Did you know that I like the Red Sox? I like the Red Sox. Did you know we won the World Series recently? Twice! But the first time was the best. After that first time, I did the following:
- Drank several beers
- Several is an approximation
- Jumped out of my cab in the middle of the street to hug a total stranger
- Like three times, seriously
- Bought the entire postseason on DVD so I could watch The Steal again and again
- Wept while watching The Steal again and again
- Read several books by crazy people who are Red Sox fans.
And here's what sucks about this particular book by crazy people (Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King wrote it together): the 2004 ALCS was one of the most terrifying things that've ever happened. (If you don't know why, you don't need to read this review.) It's a crime against posterity that Stephen King - Stephen King! - wrote about this exact series...and didn't do it justice. I'm mystified and deeply saddened, because there's literally no one better in the history of the world
to describe that exact series than Stephen King. And he blew it.
Tempted to click the "this review contains spoilers" box. Spoiler: we totally won the World Series. Spoiler 2: I wept.